> [RM2k3] Sanam
Lyric Induced
post Mar 12 2009, 09:08 PM
Post #1

Crisis Addict

Group: Member
Points For Stuff: 1109
Member No.: 1,021

Sanam is the first of the Sanarian Trilogy.

Sanam, in-game, is a province in a large continent named Endria.

I have been developing many versions of this game for almost five years. I have scrapped each one, out of anger (because I couldn't get it as good as I wanted it to be). But the version I started working on a couple months ago has made me happy, and can assure you that I will be completing this version.

Story:

Sanam is the richest state in Endria, thanks to Denrin Lidius. For ten years, he has assumed the role of King and lead the state through depression and war, victorious. Though mostly good had come from the years of his rule, a fatal issue arose for the people living on Ilen, a small island on the tip of Sanam. The island was barely considered part of Sanam before, and eventually lost respect from Denrin. It was deemed to anarchy and forgotten. The island's inhabitants fought for its respect, and recovering from its main village, Calvianus', seperation into two villages - Calvus and Salvus. Calvus is Zack's hometown. He's been working with Richard, the town's Financial Advisor, to earn Ilen's place in Sanam back. Recently, a display of sloppy finance reports and the eventual halt of them coming at all worries Richard. He sends Zack to the town's rival village, to attempt restoring peace...

Project Goals and Origins

Origin:
I started this "story" in early 2004. I finished the final version a couple months ago, so you can see how hard I worked on it, regardless of it sucking.
I started developing the project in 2005, with RPG Maker 2003. Since 2005, I'd been working on different versions of the project. This year I decided on the one I'm building now.

Magic Development
In Sanam, people's magical abilities are decided as they grow to their teenage years. The type of environment they are surrounded by plays a huge role in this development, as well as their personality.

White mages are usually surrounded by loving people through their childhood, and have had at least one significant other in their lifetime.

Black Mages are usually surrounded by death and violence through their childhood.

Skill Users generally have suffered a horrible event in their childhood, disconnecting them emotionally from the world for several years.

Orange Mages are usually forced to give up a lot in their life just to survive.

Characters

Zack

Male
Class: Fighter

Description: Zack grew up on the island Ilen, living particularly in the town of Calvus. He's kind and usually outgoing, though his personality has become darker over the years. He's been through many hard times, like the Un-Governed War, and the seperation of Calvianus Village. His Father and Mother both passed away when he was seven, and eight, respectively. Zack fell into deep depression from their passing away, but his life turned around because of his relationship with Sarah. He was given a full Sanarian education, and majored in Sword Combat. His teacher, Samuel Trias, taught him all he knows in the area of combat. Zack continues to live in Ilen, intending to stay there for at-least three more years before leaving for the mainland.

He doesn't share much about his Father when anyone asks, or his Mother. He also tends to avoid any talk about Denrin Lidius.

NOTE: I know what you're thinking. "U used defalt RTP Zack lol." Well, my original concept for Zack was pretty similar to RTP Zack. Blue hair, same kind of coat... So, I left it. All the main characters were pretty similar to the RTP sets I chose to use. For the other characters it was more in their faces and hair, though.

Sarah Trias

Female
Class: White Mage

Description: Sarah is a very nice, open girl. She grew up in Ilen with Zack, in the town of Calvus. When she got older, she left Calvus, to go to Salvus, pursuing a job. Her Mother and Father left her on Amanda Trias of Calvus' doorstep when she was very young, so her real parents are unknown. Amanda raised Sarah and taught her in Vol's teachings. Though she was heavily influenced by Vol's teachings, her heavy admiration of Zack drove her to take the same belief as him. She has, like Zack, never left Ilen, and learned everything she knows there. She was given a basic eduction, which she regrets, and intends to finish her education someday.

Sam

Female
Class: Fighter

Description: Sam is the cute, shy (to strangers, anyway) girl everybody seems to know. She's a bit naive at times, and is, unwillingly, often the center of attention. She was born in Triun of Sanam, but soon-after was taken to Ilen. She left Ilen at ten years of age to go back to triun and receive a full Sanarian education. She was trained with several different weapons, but her admiration for Zack made her stick to swords. Also because of this admiration, she returned to Calvus at fifteen.

Jade

Female
Class: Black Mage, Archer

Description: Jade is a kind, but somewhat shy, girl who has apparently lived in Nilestone Village for most of her life. She recently left Nilestone to create a rebellion group in Triun, to battle against the Deseco Organization. She refuses to speak of either of her parents, or any other relatives she has. She also keeps most of her history hidden, and avoids making close friends. She was trained by a warrior in Nilestone village in Ranged weaponry. She also developed Black Magical abilities, regardless of formerly being told that she has no Magical Potential.

Kyle
Picture Coming Soon
Male
Class: Thief

Description: Kyle is a former street-urchin from Triun. He and his sister moved from place to place, as he tried to find a city that offered a decent job, but couldn't keep a job anywhere because of his reputation as a thief. With nowhere to go, he had to dive into his unfair reputation and begin stealing just to keep his sister healthy. This led to him becoming quite the thief, and even years later, when him and his sister have legitimate jobs, his thieving skills come in handy.

Minor Characters

Richard Hunter

Bio: Richard was born in Triun, when the city was still Rank 2; only considered a small village. He grew up as a banker's son and picked up the career himself. He worked his way up to a rather powerful Judge, but the Ryan controversy forced him to step down from the stand as a lowly Financial Adviser. Since him and Zack were friends at the time, Zack invited Richard to work for Ilen, and Richard has been helping them out ever since.

Samuel Trius

Bio: Samuel Trius is an Ilen long-timer. He was there when Calvus and Salvus were still one joined city. He now resides in Calvus, particularly because of Sarah and Zack's former relationship. When Sarah had left for Salvus and Zack had been drafted for the war a few years prior, his boredom led him to start working again, taking up the same job Zack has always had - hunting animals for food and selling it to cities of higher ranks, such as Triun. He married Amanda Elessu at age 22 and they've been married since. They also adopted Sarah when they found her on their doorstep when she was only a year old and have since raised her.

Amanda Trius

Bio: Amanda Trius grew up with Samuel on Ilen, and married him at age 21. Amanda has a Lumber shop opened in Calvus for many years, but eventually the need for lumber was aided by the city of Wraith instead. She has always been suspicious of Zack, which her daughter blames on her over-protective nature. Amanda has made a great effort in finding more information for Sarah rather than her name and birth date found on the parcel included in her basket sixteen years ago, but to no avail.

Eve of Nilestone

Bio: Eve grew up in Nilestone Village and befriended the former leader of the town, Rain. She aimed at inheriting the town after Rain died, but couldn't when Deseco stepped in and took control. Years later to present day, Deseco has left, but still has watches that visit the Village on occasion, which disrupts the village's former lifestyle. Eve works as a saleswoman of many different unique drinks made in Nilestone. She befriended Zack on Ilen when she went to sell Ryan Smith a trade route contract.

Screenshots
These are just a few...

Gameplay Information

Sanam plays like a traditional RPG. It uses the default ATB system.

Here are some details about the battle system.

Magic Styles
Each person in the world has one of five different magic styles flowing within them - Black, White, Orange, Varied, or Skill.

Magic items called Scales are small sources of magic in the game. One can use them to higher their intelligence, learn specific spells, or even to create custom spells.

White Magic
White magic is the good-nature magic in the game. It mostly consists of healing spells.

Black Magic

Black magic is the evil-nature magic in the game. It mostly consists of elemental, damaging spells.

Black magic users can eventually learn Forbidden magic, which consists of spells like Death, or Damnation.

Orange Magic
Orange magic consists of both Healing and Elemental/Damaging spells. Orange Magic uses no MP.

Orange magic is the sacrifice of items, weapons, or personal health, in exchange for Healing spells, Elemental Damaging Spells, or Unique Devastating spells.

Example:

The player can sacrifice a Potion and four Poison Cures to create a spell that cures all allies of Status Ailments.

Another example is sacrificing a Fire Scale for a low leveled fire spell.

Skill Magic
Skill magic is different from the other styles of magic.

When people are born, and their magic ability is being developed, sometimes the person will not develop a full magic capability. They will only be able to use a small amount of Magic, but not for elemental damage spells, or healing spells.

Skills mainly consist of Status Ailment inducing attacks, as well as skills that allow you to mix your small amount of magical ability with your strength.

Status Ailments
Poison
Poison causes the victim to lose a small percentage of HP every turn. This damage may not seem worth inflicting at first, but the damage really adds up, especially for stronger enemies.

Silence
The victim is unable to cast spells. This can be very useful on enemies that know powerful magic.

Confusion
The victim attacks their allies, and their self, randomly.

Stunned
The victim is stunned and cannot move for a moment.

Paralyzed
The user is paralyzed and cannot move.

Blind
This greatly decreases the victim's chance of hitting its target.

Berserk
The victim is enraged, with a boost to their strength, and attacks enemies at random.

Sleep
The victim falls into a deep sleep, where only physical damage or waiting it out can wake them.

Fallen
An ally has fallen in battle. They are unable to do anything further, and must be healed with an "Angel's Touch" potion.

Damned
The victim has fallen, and can only be revived by High Priests, or rare Holy Potions.

The Feather System
In the world, there are some species of birds that are blessed. They bear magical properties. For as long as history has been recorded, people have used these bird's feathers to learn Magic of their type. This has been rejected by some, but most fully accept it and call it a gift from the gods.

A human can only wear one feather at a time, as humans are weak in magic and could die from using more at one time. To absorb a Feather's magic, you must wear the Feather on you, in a headband, on your ear, or anywhere else close enough for you to gather its power. Feathers can also be worn on weapons.

When a character wears a Feather, and they gain EXP from battles, the EXP also goes to the feather. The feather levels up just like the characters, and as a Character levels that feather up, they gain Spells of the feather's type.

Note: Slades play a different role in the story now. I will update them soon, like later today.

Original Soundtrack
Actually, that is a bit misleading. MOST of the soundtrack in Sanam is original, but some songs are ripped from other games.

These are the current songs ready for Sanam. I created them; so if you like them and want to use them, go ahead, but please credit me. ^.^;

Driven by the Sword (Battle Theme)
What Kind of Demonic Power
Get Behind Me (Special Battle Theme)
Vesa Len (Vesa Len's Song)
Angered Lord (Special Battle Theme)
Deseco Theme

So far Driven by the Sword is the only one with a video, but I'll set up more.

Updates

Update - August 3rd, 2009
I have removed the ability to create weapons, items, and magic. The reason is because for Magic, adding the effect of one spell to another was immensely useless. For items, the way they are set up, it'd be much easier to just buy them. As for weapons, same as items.

However, you can still upgrade Zack's sword. You find materials that Blacksmiths tell you to find, and add to its power. Other customization of items is still being considered, as I stupidly looked into this late in development.

Update - August 28th, 2009
Wanted to post and announce I've finished the first segment of the story! There will be 4-5 segments of the same size approximately. I've smoothed out all the plotholes I've found, so development is going fast again.

If I had to guess, I'd say Sanam is about 30% finished, and an ETA on it's completion would be... Within the first two months of 2010. That's just a guess though; it may come out much later, or even sooner.

Update: October 29th, 2009

Ok, my main PC is back, and thank the Lord, I can open the start menu without a three second wait.

I'm back to work on my projects again. I'm still working full speed on Sanam, but I'm also going to be working on Attack of the Spammers too. During my down time in development, I got a lot done story-wise for both games. I have a lot of stuff planned out, and intend to get on it immediately. School is also gonna be real light this month, so it should be easy.

One thing to report for Sanam that's absolutely confirmed is the Custom Menu for Feathers. Before you just equipped a Feather through the main menu and it did its job, but I think that's pretty lazy. I've never tried a real custom menu before, but I intend for it to me nice and clean, and shall work hard on it.

I'm also working out other things with Feathers and how they develop your skills, but none of that is confirmed yet.

The Opening Post for this topic is being written up, but it will still take a little time to update it since I'm working it through for different forums. The update will be more organized, and have much more information on characters, and hopefully a decent amount of more information for the story.

Update: November 9th, 2009

Update: November 9th, 2009
The main post has received a small edit, but more is going to be added.

-More information and examples of the Feather System
-An Item list
-A new Characters section, displaying secondary characters
-Detailed information about some of the more common locations in Sanam
-Anything else I've forgotten.

Update: January 4th, 2010

I'm still trying to figure out a demo. I can't really promise it'll happen, because I intended to never release one, and the game isn't set up for one at all. I really wish I would have waited longer before making a topic for the game. I'll try my best to make one work.

I also wanted to explain one of the features of the game. Mid-way through, you'll be able to work together with the History Archive Representative and the History Enthusiasts to fill in several story segments that Zack has experienced, but never really explains during the main quest. (I.E., Mayor Ryan, his childhood along with Sarah's, details about his role in the war, etc.) This is the main way to discover the truths and just general background information of Sanam. (you can also find NPCs that can better explain some of the more vague history of the game)

Update: February 7th, 2010

Here are those new screenshots.

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 99)
Rosseau
post Mar 13 2009, 03:25 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Points For Stuff: 15
Member No.: 597

Using the RTP is not a sin by any means! I like it in fact. It is crucial to focus on the spark (the gameplay, the lure of the game) and not the glitter (the graphics, the eye candy) when it comes to game design.

Storyline: The summery is fine, it -could- use some hints (only minor, we don't want to be spoiled right away tongue.gif) as to what we can expect to see.

Characters:
Zack - I'm glad this character doesn't have conflict right away, it'll be interesting to see what is to happen.
Sarah - Oh noes, I can sense a possible love interest tongue.gif
Sam - Sounds exactly like one of my friends, holy poo poo.
Jade - Yes! Despite that sprite being a Ninja, she isn't a Ninja at all. I really like it when people break away from the norm.
Kyle - Hmm.. I can sense a possible rivaly between Zack and Kyle. This will be interesting!

Comments: If this is your first RPG to be released to public, you really don't have much to worry about at all! Just work to your leisure and have fun with it! What's the use in making something if you aren't having fun, right? I like what I see thus far, good luck!

+Quote Post
Materia
post Mar 13 2009, 03:57 PM
Post #3

| CRISIS | AVENGER |

Points For Stuff: 868
Member No.: 839

The character's all seem original enough. I really would like to know more about the general plot. Like what exactly is Deseco and why do all these characters have it out for them? Is it because of one reason? That it's a bad group of people? Or does each character have different reasons to fight Deseco?

At any rate.

Seems like you got the jist of how you want the game to play out.
I'm actually interested to see how it turns out!
biggrin.gif

--------------------

--------------------
RM Tsukuru Kokyo - RPG Maker Fansite, RPG News, RM Directory Site
--------------------
Current Projects
Eternal Dungeon ( a remake of Infinite Journey for VX )
Alkahest of Egeox ( a Steam-Punk RPG for VX )
RM Tsukuru Kokyo

QUOTE (NES)
I don't want to use you because I'm about to fight Emerald Weapon. Wait, just give me the Underwater & Knights of the Round Materias. :)

QUOTE (Materia)
That's how I know you're a noob. You're supposed to link Knights of the Round with Mimic. DURRRRRR

And yes. I know you need Underwater/w.e too.
xP
--------------------

+Quote Post
Lyric Induced
post Mar 13 2009, 04:37 PM
Post #4

Crisis Addict

QUOTE (Rosseau @ Mar 13 2009, 03:25 PM) *
Using the RTP is not a sin by any means! I like it in fact. It is crucial to focus on the spark (the gameplay, the lure of the game) and not the glitter (the graphics, the eye candy) when it comes to game design.

Storyline: The summery is fine, it -could- use some hints (only minor, we don't want to be spoiled right away tongue.gif) as to what we can expect to see.

Characters:
Zack - I'm glad this character doesn't have conflict right away, it'll be interesting to see what is to happen.
Sarah - Oh noes, I can sense a possible love interest tongue.gif
Sam - Sounds exactly like one of my friends, holy poo poo.
Jade - Yes! Despite that sprite being a Ninja, she isn't a Ninja at all. I really like it when people break away from the norm.
Kyle - Hmm.. I can sense a possible rivaly between Zack and Kyle. This will be interesting!

Comments: If this is your first RPG to be released to public, you really don't have much to worry about at all! Just work to your leisure and have fun with it! What's the use in making something if you aren't having fun, right? I like what I see thus far, good luck!

Thanks. happy.gif

I wrote ten different long summaries, but I felt they gave away too much information I wanted the players to learn first hand. So, I'm having trouble with it; you see, I just have a problem releasing things I'm not completely happy with. happy.gif;

Sarah - I think you may be on to something. x3
Sam - Heh, also somewhat similar to my cousin.
Kyle - Heh... xD

I see. I shall take your advice. It is my first game to be released to the public, but I just don't want to make a bad impression...

And thank you again!

QUOTE (Kurysu @ Mar 13 2009, 03:57 PM) *
The character's all seem original enough. I really would like to know more about the general plot. Like what exactly is Deseco and why do all these characters have it out for them? Is it because of one reason? That it's a bad group of people? Or does each character have different reasons to fight Deseco?

At any rate.

Seems like you got the jist of how you want the game to play out.
I'm actually interested to see how it turns out!
biggrin.gif

Thanks to you too happy.gif

Later today, I'll add more information on the "surface" of Deseco. I just don't want to add too much, of course. ^^;

--------------------

+Quote Post
Materia
post Mar 13 2009, 04:41 PM
Post #5

| CRISIS | AVENGER |

Of course. I'm not asking you spill your plotline...
But clearing up on the vagueness of the faction would be a welcome idea!
When can we expect some screenshots?
smile.gif

--------------------

--------------------
--------------------
Current Projects
RM Tsukuru Kokyo

QUOTE (NES)
I don't want to use you because I'm about to fight Emerald Weapon. Wait, just give me the Underwater & Knights of the Round Materias. :)

QUOTE (Materia)
That's how I know you're a noob. You're supposed to link Knights of the Round with Mimic. DURRRRRR

xP
--------------------

+Quote Post
Lyric Induced
post Mar 13 2009, 05:37 PM
Post #6

Crisis Addict

Later today. Late tonight at latest.

I'm pinned down with a bunch of schoolwork at the moment, but as soon as I've completed it all, I'll post some screenshots, add to the gameplay and story sections, and hopefully come up with a better summary.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Materia
post Mar 13 2009, 05:38 PM
Post #7

| CRISIS | AVENGER |

Sounds awesome!
If you ever need help with anything, let me know!

&& Yeah. I know how it is with not getting around to RPG Maker...
It actually sucks when I realize that I only have time to work on my game like 3-5 hours a week.
I need to fix that! lol!

--------------------

--------------------
--------------------
Current Projects
RM Tsukuru Kokyo

QUOTE (NES)

QUOTE (Materia)

xP
--------------------

+Quote Post
Lyric Induced
post Mar 13 2009, 05:42 PM
Post #8

Crisis Addict

xD

Sweet, I will.

Yeah, I've found less and less time to work on RPG maker projects too. Spring break comes up soon, though, so I'll be getting in a heck of a lot of work into it then. x3

--------------------

+Quote Post
Materia
post Mar 13 2009, 05:45 PM
Post #9

| CRISIS | AVENGER |

haha! I'm gonna hold you to that!
If you don't have at least 30 minutes of gameplay by the end of Spring Break...
We're taking away your Gold Card!
XD

rofl!!!

--------------------

--------------------
--------------------
Current Projects
RM Tsukuru Kokyo

QUOTE (NES)

QUOTE (Materia)

xP
--------------------

+Quote Post
Lyric Induced
post Mar 13 2009, 05:53 PM
Post #10

Crisis Addict

Haha, okay.

I feel I'm safe, because I have about an hour prepared already. xD

--------------------

+Quote Post
Materia
post Mar 13 2009, 07:36 PM
Post #11

| CRISIS | AVENGER |

lmao!
Cheater.

hahaha.

--------------------

--------------------
--------------------
Current Projects
RM Tsukuru Kokyo

QUOTE (NES)

QUOTE (Materia)

xP
--------------------

+Quote Post
Lyric Induced
post Mar 13 2009, 10:31 PM
Post #12

Crisis Addict

Heh. x3

I added some screenshots, a bit of information on how Magic works in the world of Sanam, and also tried to re-do the summary.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Elemental Crisis
post Mar 14 2009, 02:24 AM
Post #13

Savior

Group: Owner
Points For Stuff: 1035
Member No.: 1

It's always nice to see people still using RM2K3. smile.gif

I like that you have the ability to "bind" spells, neat idea. smile.gif

--------------------

RPG Crisis YouTube Channel!

Outdated Handy Links That Will One Day Be Updated:

Forum Rules
Tutorial/Script Template
Resource Database
Download Database
Tutorial Database

+Quote Post
Lyric Induced
post Mar 14 2009, 09:12 AM
Post #14

Crisis Addict

QUOTE (Elemental Crisis @ Mar 14 2009, 02:24 AM) *
It's always nice to see people still using RM2K3. smile.gif

I like that you have the ability to "bind" spells, neat idea. smile.gif

Yeah, it seems like too many people are switching to the newer ones.

Thanks. happy.gif I was messing around with stuff, and I thought of it, and tested it out, and I think I've found a good way to implement it. Extremely time consuming, but still.

Orange Magic is also time consuming, because I have to remove all Orange Magic spells after every battle, and when every battle starts, I have to check for the required items for every orange magic spell every turn to ensure the player can't use ones they don't have items for...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bandito
post Mar 15 2009, 07:43 AM
Post #15

Crisis Addict

Points For Stuff: 124
Member No.: 150

I respect that you decided to use the rtp because you think he fits your envisioned fictional character named Zack but you can still edit things like his clothes, color of the eys etc, just so people are not put off because of the rtp.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lyric Induced
post Mar 15 2009, 12:14 PM
Post #16

Crisis Addict

QUOTE (Bandito @ Mar 15 2009, 07:43 AM) *
I respect that you decided to use the rtp because you think he fits your envisioned fictional character named Zack but you can still edit things like his clothes, color of the eys etc, just so people are not put off because of the rtp.

Yeah, I've actually made a slight edit. I'm going by the picture I drew a few years back, so I'm just changing colors.

His hair, though, being blue, is important to the storyline, so I'll leave that of course.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rory
post Mar 15 2009, 09:40 PM
Post #17

Crisis Devotee

Group: Staff
Points For Stuff: 24
Member No.: 1,313

Wow, your game looks pretty neat.
I like your maps a lot, and the storyline is pretty cliche, you should work on that XD

--------------------
? RPGCrisis Staff, Webdesigner.
? Experienced GFX Artist, and Pixel Artist.
? GFX Designer of Slime Online & Squeebs.
? Creator of Nin Online, Crystal Birth & Wintergreen.

? My Submissions
Tutorials:
Designing a Protagonist [LINK]
-Tutorial which teaches you how to design a protagonist character in your game.

Scripts:
[RMVX] Character Shadows [LINK]
-Made by Minto, Modded and Translated by me.

+Quote Post
Lyric Induced
post Mar 15 2009, 09:49 PM
Post #18

Crisis Addict

QUOTE (Rory @ Mar 15 2009, 09:40 PM) *
Wow, your game looks pretty neat.
I like your maps a lot, and the storyline is pretty cliche, you should work on that XD

Thanks. ^.^

I know, the story does sound really cliche... Dx

It's actually deeper than it sounds. I just am and always have been horrible at summaries. The game centers on allot of things, and is more than just a... "fight an evil assosiation that's gonna destroy the whole world" type of thing.

Well, I'm not saying my game is gonna be completely unique or anything, heh...

I actually have a few other stories that are much more original I could work with, but this is one I've been writing for a long, long time, and I'd love to just finally finish my first RPG maker game.

Meh, I can't really get what I mean out x__x

I just hope my game isn't absolutely horrid.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Materia
post Mar 16 2009, 11:20 AM
Post #19

| CRISIS | AVENGER |

You can make a cliche story line work, anyhow, I believe.
I actually enjoy playing a good classical RPG.
smile.gif

Anyway. The Orange Magic system seems pretty neat.
Doesn't seem like it would be TOO time confusing, either.
It would definitely be less time confusing if you used a script instead of battle events.
:3

--------------------

--------------------
--------------------
Current Projects
RM Tsukuru Kokyo

QUOTE (NES)

QUOTE (Materia)

xP
--------------------

+Quote Post
Lyric Induced
post Mar 16 2009, 02:32 PM
Post #20

Crisis Addict

QUOTE (Kurysu @ Mar 16 2009, 11:20 AM) *
You can make a cliche story line work, anyhow, I believe.
I actually enjoy playing a good classical RPG.
smile.gif

Anyway. The Orange Magic system seems pretty neat.
Doesn't seem like it would be TOO time confusing, either.
It would definitely be less time confusing if you used a script instead of battle events.
:3

Yep... one of the things making me want to make games in XP or VX. But I dunno, I just give up on them for some reason. They're just... different.

Well, I can play through XP or VX games, but I mean I can never come close to finishing games on them.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lyric Induced
post May 28 2009, 02:38 PM
Post #21

Crisis Addict

Small update, added a couple screenshots. I've been busy with other things to do much else. =/

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lyric Induced
post Jul 18 2009, 01:18 AM
Post #22

Crisis Addict

It's been a while since I posted here, but I've made progress. Since then I've added about an hour and thirty minutes of gameplay, finished the Feather system, and stuff.

I've added information on the Original Songs that appear in the game, but the only song that has a video (Driven by the Sword) can be listened to in this video.

I would REALLY appreciate feedback on the music that I share here!

I'll add videos for the other songs soon.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Obsession
post Jul 21 2009, 06:00 AM
Post #23

The Enigmatic

Points For Stuff: 937
Member No.: 1,213

You need to remove the watch?= thingy from the video url to make it work. I managed to get the url though, The music is alright, its somewhat repetitive, perhaps if you could develop some backing, i can imagine it sounding really awesome smile.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ( Obsession)
Officially on Aioncrack since KCB.

The other stuffV

Project Progresses:
Shadow Saga: The Hexed Legacy = 30%
Shadow Saga: The Dark Reign = 60%
Eden Sidescroll kit: 100%!
Fate of Adena XAS Project = 75%
Shadow Saga: Steel Combat = 100%!

+Quote Post
Lyric Induced
post Jul 21 2009, 01:25 PM
Post #24

Crisis Addict

Thanks. I'll try my best to improve them! I was already working on adding instruments to Driven by the Sword, but I'm having trouble with it. xD I'm trying though.

Here's another song I composed for Sanam: Get Behind Me.

It's a "hurry song," or "duel song," or "oh **** we in danger man" song. It's short, but it never plays through more than twice in-game.

And please ignore the MSN sound. xD

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lyric Induced
post Aug 3 2009, 02:03 AM
Post #25

Crisis Addict

Update - August 3rd 2009

I have removed the ability to create weapons, items, and magic. The reason is because for Magic, adding the effect of one spell to another was immensely useless. For items, the way they are set up, it'd be much easier to just buy them. As for weapons, same as items.

However, you can still upgrade Zack's sword. You find materials that Blacksmiths tell you to find, and add to its power. Other customization of items is still being considered, as I stupidly looked into this late in development.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rayzshea
post Aug 10 2009, 12:12 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Points For Stuff: 59
Member No.: 3,100

Hey Lyric, I was wondering what you are using to create your music?

"Driven by the Sword" seems like a great choice for boss-type battles but in my mind would be to intense as a main battle theme. If your characters are getting into random battles all over the place they are probably not going to get this jacked up about a couple of goblins right?

On the other hand "Get Behind Me" seems a little calm for an oh @#%& battle song if you are going for a focused/ tunnel vision theme maybe try adding a heart beat base line or breathing type sounds into it.

Will you be posting a main theme or character themes? It is always good to hear game music in context to what is around it.

Good work. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Lyric Induced
post Aug 10 2009, 02:08 PM
Post #27

Crisis Addict

QUOTE (Rayzshea @ Aug 10 2009, 12:12 PM) *
Hey Lyric, I was wondering what you are using to create your music?

"Driven by the Sword" seems like a great choice for boss-type battles but in my mind would be to intense as a main battle theme. If your characters are getting into random battles all over the place they are probably not going to get this jacked up about a couple of goblins right?

On the other hand "Get Behind Me" seems a little calm for an oh @#%& battle song if you are going for a focused/ tunnel vision theme maybe try adding a heart beat base line or breathing type sounds into it.

Will you be posting a main theme or character themes? It is always good to hear game music in context to what is around it.

Good work. smile.gif

Thank you! =D

I've been using Anvil Studio to create music. It's a great program, and it's free.

I agree that Driven is more like a Boss song. I've been working on a Battle song to swap with it, but have had no luck yet.

I'll be posting character themes, alternate battle music, the victory song, and... well, pretty much everything I finish.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rayzshea
post Aug 10 2009, 08:18 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

I think that Driven could easily become a main battle theme with a few tweaks, and you could keep what you have as a boss or demi-boss song.

From what you have written of your project your heroes are quite young, so maybe they do get really pumped up over random encounters, but for me as a player, random encounters are an expected part of RPG travel. They are small doses of risk to my characters while on route from castle to treasure, breaking up the monotony of walking across the world map. In many games most random encounters can be easily beaten with just the action button, no magic, skills or items required.

I would imagine that if I happened to be in the shoes of a standard RPG character, these battles would be almost chore like. Go kill enough monsters today so I can afford X or be as strong as Y.

Long story short.. by taking away ~1/3 of the notes in the score you could tone it down a little.

So instead of ................ you have .. . . .. . . ... or something, I am not sure that it would work, but it could be less time consuming than creating a whole new score. Using a variation of the boss theme in a standard battle will also strengthen the cohesiveness of the soundtrack.

Looking forward to hear what else you come up with for this game.

+Quote Post
Lyric Induced
post Aug 10 2009, 08:37 PM
Post #29

Crisis Addict

I actually composed Driven with the feeling of Panic in mind. That's because the main character, Zack, does not like killing and yet is forced to do so, which induces panic... If that makes any sense.

I'll try and to what you said, and post whatever I end up using. ^__^

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rayzshea
post Aug 11 2009, 05:03 AM
Post #30

Advanced Member

That does make sense. If there are any sort of long grinds required in the game maybe consider Zack as becoming battle hardened, less panicked as time wears on?

Just throwing around some ideas.

+Quote Post
Lyric Induced
post Aug 17 2009, 05:47 PM
Post #31

Crisis Addict

QUOTE (Rayzshea @ Aug 11 2009, 06:03 AM) *
That does make sense. If there are any sort of long grinds required in the game maybe consider Zack as becoming battle hardened, less panicked as time wears on?

Just throwing around some ideas.

I like your ideas. =3

Well, during the story, there's a point that the panic he feels during a fight is destroyed, and I think it's an awesome idea to change the battle music to a slower one later on. =D

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rayzshea
post Aug 17 2009, 05:58 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Thanks Lyric!

I totally support a change in music during the game. I frequently turn the volume off while gaming and put on some of my own tunes, especially where background music gets over used and stale. (Harvest Moon 64 I love you, but I hate your music)

Changing up the game music keeps things interesting and adds to the atmosphere, good luck on your project!

+Quote Post
Gundam Exia
post Aug 19 2009, 01:38 AM
Post #33

Theres no one i love more than myself.

Points For Stuff: 468
Member No.: 3,309

Nice!
I Want To Try This Game.
It Looks Cool. smile.gif

--------------------
Random Stuff

Go To A Minimal Server And Add Me,
Or Join Here.
Don't Worry, Its Fun, Its Online.

At last im finally 13 years old, now im old enough to...
*Eat Champ Burger Delux!
*Play Ragnarok Online
*Watch Forbidden Channels
*Make Muscles

________________________________________________________________________________
____---

+Quote Post
Sentinel Dynames
post Aug 19 2009, 02:33 AM
Post #34

The combination of Beelzemon,Omnimon and Gallantmon.

Points For Stuff: 286
Member No.: 3,311

Sanam?
What is this game?
I want to try it!

--------------------

Feel the wrath of the demons.

+Quote Post
Lyric Induced
post Aug 22 2009, 12:51 AM
Post #35

Crisis Addict

Sanam is a traditional RPG... And... Well, I'm not good at explaining stories... The summary in post 1 is as good as that's going to get.

I'll have a video up and a new song I'm working on soon.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Midnight Assassi...
post Aug 22 2009, 06:50 AM
Post #36

I had the pear dream again

Points For Stuff: 1100
Member No.: 2,851

QUOTE (Sentinel Dynames @ Aug 19 2009, 08:33 PM) *
Sanam?
What is this game?
I want to try it!

It is all in the first post. Sweet jesus, look at it! It's right in front of you! Look at it. Do I have to shove it in your face?. happy.gif

--------------------

A tech blog. About tech stuff. Site not up yet.

A new game maker on the horizon. Really worth checking out.

Last signature update: 10:36, Saturday, April 17, 2010.
All times are Australian Eastern Standard Time

+Quote Post
Gundam Exia
post Aug 22 2009, 02:46 PM
Post #37

Nice Game.
I'll Try It laugh.gif

--------------------
Random Stuff

Or Join Here.

*Eat Champ Burger Delux!
*Play Ragnarok Online
*Make Muscles

________________________________________________________________________________
____---

+Quote Post
Midnight Assassi...
post Aug 22 2009, 04:49 PM
Post #38

It's not out yet... dry.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gundam Exia
post Aug 22 2009, 04:57 PM
Post #39

oh...
thats why i cant find the demo smile.gif

--------------------
Random Stuff

Or Join Here.

*Eat Champ Burger Delux!
*Play Ragnarok Online
*Make Muscles

____---

+Quote Post
Lyric Induced
post Aug 22 2009, 05:04 PM
Post #40

Crisis Addict

Yeah, I don't think I'll be releasing demos, because you wouldn't be able to keep your game and would have to restart.

I'll try to add a decent amount of videos to show how the game is like though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Midnight Assassi...
post Aug 22 2009, 05:28 PM
Post #41

@Lyric Induced, Yeah, I've never been a big demo-release fan. In VX, though, you can use the same savefile to continue your progress in the next demo.

@Gundam Exia, IF there were a demo released, then Lyric would've made a notice. Not every game here has a demo.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lyric Induced
post Aug 22 2009, 05:32 PM
Post #42

Crisis Addict

Well, you can generally do that in 2003 too, but it's just the way I have the game set up that makes it dangerous to do.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Midnight Assassi...
post Aug 22 2009, 10:22 PM
Post #43

Yeah, I guess different demos have different addons and other doohickeys installed in between releases. That'll be a problem.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lyric Induced
post Aug 22 2009, 10:23 PM
Post #44

Crisis Addict

That's precisely my problem. Zack's sword building system and the Feather system won't be done for a while.

--------------------

+Quote Post
keitsukun
post Aug 23 2009, 10:04 AM
Post #45

The Dude with a gun.

Points For Stuff: 455
Member No.: 2,764

The BMG is great! Even tough it sounds some-what a little clumsy... I just cant figure out why.. :/

But as I can see, youre using the original rpgm2003 sprites..
I could surely fix you up something quickly.

All id need is a physical description, and to know their personality. (it helps me. somehow.. O-o)
I could even do some fighting/emotion stances if I have the time.

Contact me if youre intrested.

(No I wont use a charater generator)

--------------------
Main work:
Castlevania: The new Moon (Starter kit)

81%
What is done and what is left to do:

DONE:
-Richter Belmont as a playable character
-The heart currency system
-Timer
-Engine
-total of 9 ennemies in stock
-3 completed tile sets
-Sound effects
-all the Castlevania1 BGM collection
-3 different HUDs

LEFT TO DO:
-Vector Hector Belmont as a playable character (lol sry :P)
-3 more tilesets
-3 more ennemies
-a undecided Boss amount

Poject link: https://rpgcrisis.net/forums/index.php?show...amp;#entry27746

Up coming project: Metal Gear Solid: No mans land

+Quote Post
Lyric Induced
post Aug 23 2009, 03:16 PM
Post #46

Crisis Addict

I'd actually be interested, but not for this particular project though. I've fallen in love with these RTP Charas for my characters even though others likely won't see the originality in their graphics.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jetstorm4
post Aug 23 2009, 06:55 PM
Post #47

Points For Stuff: 6
Member No.: 3,375

Wow, actually looks like a solid project, and the feather system sounds great! And hey, the original RPG RTP graphics looked like
characters of mine when I was working on one game (never finished sad.gif ...) but good luck on it!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lyric Induced
post Aug 23 2009, 06:59 PM
Post #48

Crisis Addict

Heh, thanks. =D

Yeah, the RTP characters thing is troublesome since they're used so much, and people will probably associate their characters or other characters with similar sprites as the ones I'm trying to portray.

But I'm using them because they're all pretty close to how I originally wanted them to look.

--------------------

+Quote Post
RATED-RKOFRANKLI...
post Aug 23 2009, 07:03 PM
Post #49

Crisis Devotee

Points For Stuff: 496
Member No.: 2,287

How much progress have you finished? I hope your project is a success.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lyric Induced
post Aug 23 2009, 07:05 PM
Post #50

Crisis Addict

Thanks RKO. Well...

Last time I checked I had three hours of gameplay, excluding sidequests. But that was quite a ways back in development, so I think it's going pretty smoothly. I've been going really slow lately, though, because I've been touching up the story and fixing plot holes that I found.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lyric Induced
post Aug 28 2009, 06:37 PM
Post #51

Crisis Addict

Wanted to post and announce I've finished the first segment of the story! There will be 4-5 segments of the same size approximately. I've smoothed out all the plotholes I've found, so development is going fast again.

If I had to guess, I'd say Sanam is about 30% finished, and an ETA on it's completion would be... Within the first two months of 2010. That's just a guess though; it may come out much later, or even sooner.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Midnight Assassi...
post Aug 28 2009, 06:45 PM
Post #52

That's good to hear. I can't wait to see the first release!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Obsession
post Aug 29 2009, 01:51 AM
Post #53

The Enigmatic

QUOTE (Lyric Induced @ Aug 29 2009, 03:37 AM) *

Its good to know you're still working on this and so much has been done. I can't wait to try it out when its avilable! smile.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ( Obsession)

The other stuffV

Project Progresses:

+Quote Post
Lyric Induced
post Aug 29 2009, 02:51 AM
Post #54

Crisis Addict

Thanks! :D It's those kinds of posts that make me want to work on it.

Since everything is set up now, I'm just making story segments, so development should go real fast. But of course, I can't really predict how long I'll be able to work on it or anything. I just hope I finish it soon. @__@

I've also been working on my own arrangement of Metallica's The Call of Ktulu, to be used when you fight Ktulu, an optional boss in the game. :D

--------------------

+Quote Post
Midnight Assassi...
post Aug 29 2009, 03:09 AM
Post #55

Well, this game is by far one of the best 2K3 RPGs I've ever laid eyes upon.
This is so good that this thread, this game and yourself deserve this...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lyric Induced
post Aug 29 2009, 03:12 AM
Post #56

Crisis Addict

:D

Sweet! I can has approvalness!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rayzshea
post Aug 31 2009, 09:47 AM
Post #57

Advanced Member

I'm glad that tings are moving along for you in this project. I am excited to see it finished.

+Quote Post
Obsession
post Aug 31 2009, 12:27 PM
Post #58

The Enigmatic

QUOTE (Rayzshea @ Aug 31 2009, 06:47 PM) *
I'm glad that tings are moving along for you in this project. I am excited to see it finished.

I concur, the most dedicated project on RPG Crisis smile.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ( Obsession)

The other stuffV

Project Progresses:

+Quote Post
Midnight Assassi...
post Aug 31 2009, 12:44 PM
Post #59

This is another reason you got the seal - likeability and dedication.
Keep it up, Lyric!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lyric Induced
post Aug 31 2009, 04:25 PM
Post #60

Crisis Addict

Heh, thanks a lot guys. ^~^

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gundam Exia
post Aug 31 2009, 05:30 PM
Post #61

I'm Exited To Try This Game,
Its Been A While That The Game Is Not Released But I Think It Will Be A Good Game!

--------------------
Random Stuff

Or Join Here.

*Eat Champ Burger Delux!
*Play Ragnarok Online
*Make Muscles

____---

+Quote Post
Sentinel Dynames
post Aug 31 2009, 09:19 PM
Post #62

That is a cool game!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gundam Exia
post Aug 31 2009, 09:40 PM
Post #63

QUOTE (Sentinel Dynames @ Aug 31 2009, 09:19 PM) *
That is a cool game!

Have You Tried It?
It's Not Yet Released.

I Think What You Ment Was The Game Looks Cool.

Be More Specific Next Time smile.gif

--------------------
Random Stuff

Or Join Here.

*Eat Champ Burger Delux!
*Play Ragnarok Online
*Make Muscles

____---

+Quote Post
Sentinel Dynames
post Sep 1 2009, 12:18 AM
Post #64

That's what i mean Gundam Exia.
Geez..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Midnight Assassi...
post Sep 1 2009, 02:52 AM
Post #65

@Gundam Exia, of course he hasn't tried the game. If he thinks the game will be like the thread - good-looking and immersing, then let him think that. This is why people post threads, to get critique - not to just say "Hey, I'm working on a game".

@Sentinel Dynames, you were not wrong. And as said before, thanks for the honest critique.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lyric Induced
post Oct 2 2009, 06:16 PM
Post #66

Crisis Addict

Name Change

Major Update

October 2nd, 09

I've been contemplating changing Sanam's name for a while now.

Why?

Because there's a film, or something, by the name of Sanam in some other language. This probably wouldn't bother you normal users, but I think I'm obsessive compulsive or something about originality. I also want to carry this game with me...

So, I'm deciding on a new name. But I want your opinion; is it stupid to change the name of my game just because it's in use?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Allen Hunter
post Oct 2 2009, 06:27 PM
Post #67

back, and i have a surprised for you sir...

Points For Stuff: 1131
Member No.: 593

To be honest, I think it's pretty stupid to change it just because some film already exists, especially if it was coincidental. Originality in forming a name doesn't matter to me, no matter what. Sanam to me is an original name, especially for a RPG Maker game, keep it. I want to see more from you. smile.gif

--------------------
QUOTE (#megagaming IRC)
Maybe they should stop being little bitches and confront him about it instead of doing it through proxy if they have issue
Your point?
Zero_Hawk what are you talking about? Proxys? wut
Zero_Hawk what is your def of a proxy?
Well see I thought you meant web proxy :| But I am not doing it for them
4. an ally or confederate who can be relied upon to speak or act in one's behalf.
I know you did.

Wonderful examples of primitive human stupidity:
https://rpgcrisis.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2615
https://rpgcrisis.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2467
https://rpgcrisis.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2366
https://rpgcrisis.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2332
https://rpgcrisis.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2278
https://rpgcrisis.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2250
https://rpgcrisis.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2141
https://rpgcrisis.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2109
https://rpgcrisis.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2501
https://rpgcrisis.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=3211
https://rpgcrisis.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=3207
https://rpgcrisis.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=3115
https://rpgcrisis.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2616
https://rpgcrisis.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2573
https://rpgcrisis.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2554
https://rpgcrisis.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2414
https://rpgcrisis.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2124
https://rpgcrisis.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=3227
https://rpgcrisis.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=3225
https://rpgcrisis.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=3209
https://rpgcrisis.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2022
https://rpgcrisis.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2479
https://rpgcrisis.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2331
https://rpgcrisis.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2353
https://rpgcrisis.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1615
https://rpgcrisis.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1614
https://rpgcrisis.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1402
https://rpgcrisis.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1387
https://rpgcrisis.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1446
https://rpgcrisis.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2071

+Quote Post
Lyric Induced
post Oct 2 2009, 06:28 PM
Post #68

Crisis Addict

...Eh, I guess I'll keep it, but only because you told me to, Allen. @___@

It's just, I don't like the title of stuff I make to be in use, even if it's just a stupid indie game.

I'm like this over everything, too. Hearing Final Fantasy music in my projects annoys me on some level, which is why I started composing music, so maybe a future game can have its own score.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lyric Induced
post Oct 3 2009, 04:19 AM
Post #69

Crisis Addict

I thought it was about time to post some sort of video for the game.

This first video is just your average scene.

Most of its dialogue won't make much sense unless you've played the first hour or so of the game, but I thought it'd be the best scene to post, as it doesn't really give anything important away...

By the way. I made an error when Zack says "as for people making fun of you." That and the awkward wording of "I have a friend named Richard. His friend..." have been changed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Obsession
post Oct 3 2009, 10:54 AM
Post #70

The Enigmatic

Don't change the game name.

About the video, really loved the dialouge and actions, but there was one thing I bothered me.

FF7 music.

Zack.

See the connection? Since FF7 is widely commercialised and the musical score is well-recognised, I could perhaps ask for a more less-known them. Not a major issue, just a suggestion.

I can advise some really great jrpg composers that arn't so well recognised, and might hit the area you're going for.

Motoaki Takenouchi is an amazing unrecognised classical composer. One of my few stern favourite music talents in the VG area.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vJqs-CRXXo...feature=related

Masashi Hamauzu is a more well known, due to his works with the newer FF titles, but his music is orchestral, ambient and set a very nice mood.

Motoi Sakuraba
Probably the most recent great composer I've discovered. Very good at establishing a certain feel, works well for various things.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bwglafPdNU...feature=related

But nevertheless, you don't have to use it. Its just there because its a suggestion. Although perhaps you won't want your filesize creeping up either.

--------------------
QUOTE ( Obsession)

The other stuffV

Project Progresses:

+Quote Post
Lyric Induced
post Oct 3 2009, 11:38 AM
Post #71

Crisis Addict

I've had that issue for some time, but rest assured that the game won't have too much Final Fantasy music. Maybe 4 or 5 tracks, I hope.

I'm trying to go back and replace some of the ones in the game already, but damn it if it's hard to find a song that portrays the same feel.

Thanks for the suggestions; It's just hard not to have a few songs from such an epic score, you know? :P

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gundam Exia
post Oct 3 2009, 05:48 PM
Post #72

Nice Video,
The BG Is Like SOrrow Hppines,
Another Good Game i Wanta Try.

--------------------
Random Stuff

Or Join Here.

*Eat Champ Burger Delux!
*Play Ragnarok Online
*Make Muscles

____---

+Quote Post
Lyric Induced
post Oct 10 2009, 02:32 AM
Post #73

Crisis Addict

I'll be remaking this topic soon (as in editing the first post to look better). I've grown tired of this old look, and the update will also featured more detailed info on the characters and some locations in the game. Expect said update to the topic by Monday.

EDIT: >_

--------------------

+Quote Post
Materia
post Oct 13 2009, 12:29 PM
Post #74

| CRISIS | AVENGER |

HOW much later than Monday?
tongue.gif

--------------------

--------------------
--------------------
Current Projects
RM Tsukuru Kokyo

QUOTE (NES)

QUOTE (Materia)

xP
--------------------

+Quote Post
Lyric Induced
post Oct 13 2009, 07:28 PM
Post #75

Crisis Addict

I was forming the new thing and this computer crashed, so probably when my main returns. xD In the mean time I'm working on backstory for the game, like Triun and Wraith's former partnership and current rivalry.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lyric Induced
post Oct 28 2009, 06:27 PM
Post #76

Crisis Addict

Update: October 29, 2009

Ok, my main PC is back, and thank the Lord, I can open the start menu without a three second wait.

I'm back to work on my projects again. I'm still working full speed on Sanam, but I'm also going to be working on Attack of the Spammers too. During my down time in development, I got a lot done story-wise for both games. I have a lot of stuff planned out, and intend to get on it immediately. School is also gonna be real light this month, so it should be easy.

One thing to report for Sanam that's absolutely confirmed is the Custom Menu for Feathers. Before you just equipped a Feather through the main menu and it did its job, but I think that's pretty lazy. I've never tried a real custom menu before, but I intend for it to me nice and clean, and shall work hard on it.

I'm also working out other things with Feathers and how they develop your skills, but none of that is confirmed yet.

The Opening Post for this topic is being written up, but it will still take a little time to update it since I'm working it through for different forums. The update will be more organized, and have much more information on characters, and hopefully a decent amount of more information for the story.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Materia
post Oct 28 2009, 07:48 PM
Post #77

| CRISIS | AVENGER |

Looking forward to the OP change, Lyric.
Expecting screenies of the CM for Feathers, as well...

&& *gasp* Attack of the Spammers!?
I almost forgot about that project!!!
Glad to hear it's not been forgotten!

--------------------

--------------------
--------------------
Current Projects
RM Tsukuru Kokyo

QUOTE (NES)

QUOTE (Materia)

xP
--------------------

+Quote Post
Lyric Induced
post Oct 28 2009, 08:44 PM
Post #78

Crisis Addict

&& *gasp* Attack of the Spammers!?
I almost forgot about that project!!!
Glad to hear it's not been forgotten!

I'm getting organized this time before I post a topic about it, but it's certainly underway. :D

--------------------

+Quote Post
Materia
post Oct 28 2009, 09:09 PM
Post #79

| CRISIS | AVENGER |

That's good news.
This community needs a kick in the butt! hehe

--------------------

--------------------
--------------------
Current Projects
RM Tsukuru Kokyo

QUOTE (NES)

QUOTE (Materia)

xP
--------------------

+Quote Post
Lyric Induced
post Nov 9 2009, 02:36 AM
Post #80

Crisis Addict

This is a simple rock-to-switch puzzle in the Cave of Illusion. The formula for the cave is illusion, pathway, puzzle, generally. Illusion rooms are just somewhat hard to navigate, or are deceitful. Pathways are normal ways from one level to another of the cave, and have no puzzle or illusion. Puzzle rooms are usually small and consist of one puzzle you must complete to go on.

This is another puzzle in the same cave. These posts work as a safety lock for Government Issued Explosives. They've been re-worked to work as a lock for several areas in the cave by the cave keeper.

The red posts, when matched with blue ones, will unlock the safety mechanism on Government Issued Explosives hooked up to them, or in the cave's case, doors the cave keeper hooked them up to. The creatures that inhabit the cave are much too simple minded to figure out how the posts work, so it's a decent way to keep smaller enemies out from the lower levels of the cave. Zack, having fought in the war for 2 years, frequently dealt with these devices and leads the party through the cave.

The update for the main post is still coming. I'm currently buried in school work, and am lucky to have time to work on the game at all. ^.^;

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lyric Induced
post Nov 9 2009, 03:17 AM
Post #81

Crisis Addict

The main post has received a small edit, but more is going to be added.

-More information and examples of the Feather System
-An Item list
-A new Characters section, displaying secondary characters
-Detailed information about some of the more common locations in Sanam
-Anything else I've forgotten.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Obsession
post Nov 9 2009, 02:52 PM
Post #82

The Enigmatic

I'm exteremely impressed how this project is biting into the nitpicks of not just the game, but the world itself behind it.

What really entices me most is not just the story alone, but a solid body to support it.
Damn seriously, the way this came together reminds me of those days when I worked day in, day out writing a the story to Meta Revelations (Shadow Saga series), oblivious to the RPG makers out there. And back then, I'll concur that my plot devices were used and worn, and just sucked.

I like how the specifcations and magic potency and effect are reliant on ones experiances. Orange mages achieve their abilities by sacrifice; perhaps you could implement the reasoning as some sort of plot device, for example, why must they suffer?

If these daeva birds possess magical properties, are they by any chance the source to the magics in the world? Its heavily implied by the feather system and the general gain of magical potency by the humans themselves.

But seriously, thats some damn good development you got going there. It's going to hook alot of people in and you should be proud of it.

--------------------
QUOTE ( Obsession)

The other stuffV

Project Progresses:

+Quote Post
Lyric Induced
post Nov 9 2009, 04:09 PM
Post #83

Crisis Addict

I like how the specifcations and magic potency and effect are reliant on ones experiances. Orange mages achieve their abilities by sacrifice; perhaps you could implement the reasoning as some sort of plot device, for example, why must they suffer?

The sacrifice in their childhood teaches them the meaning of the (gold coin?) and they draw on those experiences to better invest their magical abilities. Apart from their personalities, their magic uses is greatly dependent on sacrifices, mainly because they feel that they deserve to have to give things up.

Orange mages can be turned, like the other mages, if they're introduced to a new lifestyle of easy living, having no challenges whatsoever. It takes years of drastic changes to their life to turn them, though. Black mages and White mages also can be changed by their general lifestyle changing drastically for several years.

If these daeva birds possess magical properties, are they by any chance the source to the magics in the world? Its heavily implied by the feather system and the general gain of magical potency by the humans themselves.

These birds are the "gods" of Endria, though they are found throughout the world. In the year 2390 B.T., the birds (I feel stupid calling them that, lol...) decided to entrust the humans of the world they'd discovered the gift of Magic. There's several birds, one for each magic type. They each provided the Feathers that humans must use to slowly gain the knowledge of these gods, to be able to use their ancient abilities. It's better explained in-game though, and the name of the gods is also explained in-game.

Though Humans have to use the Feathers to master these skills, every being (or nearly) is born with magical ability. Humans aren't powerful enough to use any real spells, however, and need the gods' guidance to hone their skills.

Monsters are generally born with enough magic ability to use basic spells, but some are gifted by the Evil Gods so that they can use more powerful ones.

Really, it's clunky in the post, but it's explained much better in the game.

But seriously, thats some damn good development you got going there. It's going to hook alot of people in and you should be proud of it.

Thanks. ^__^

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dyhalto
post Nov 9 2009, 08:19 PM
Post #84

Gonna Bring Pollution Down To Zero

Points For Stuff: 705
Member No.: 2,154

Enough of this frivolous promotion! When cometh the demo?

--------------------

Need support banners for...
Quest for the Starfire
...some banners are getting too fat :)

+Quote Post
Lyric Induced
post Nov 9 2009, 11:47 PM
Post #85

Crisis Addict

QUOTE (Dyhalto @ Nov 9 2009, 08:19 PM) *
Enough of this frivolous promotion! When cometh the demo?

I'm still deciding on releasing a demo. I certainly don't think it'd work from the beginning of the game and on... So if I release a demo, it'll probably be of one specific section. I'll think on it...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Allen Hunter
post Nov 10 2009, 12:46 AM
Post #86

I certainly don't think it'd work from the beginning of the game and on...

That's one of the reasons why it took me so long to release Runic Cipher's demo. sad.gif

--------------------
QUOTE (#megagaming IRC)
Maybe they should stop being little bitches and confront him about it instead of doing it through proxy if they have issue
Your point?
4. an ally or confederate who can be relied upon to speak or act in one's behalf.
I know you did.

+Quote Post
Lyric Induced
post Nov 10 2009, 01:37 AM
Post #87

Crisis Addict

The whole progression works better if you play from the beginning segment on, without a sudden halt, you know? xD

A demo would probably have a small story segment, with no major spoilers, followed by a section that displays the Feather system and any other features the game has.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Obsession
post Nov 10 2009, 09:22 AM
Post #88

The Enigmatic

How about daevas then as the birds names?
Just a crappy suggestion lol, it basically means a supernatural entity.

Anyways, I don't mind waiting, just leaves a better impression.

--------------------
QUOTE ( Obsession)

The other stuffV

Project Progresses:

+Quote Post
Lyric Induced
post Nov 10 2009, 11:21 AM
Post #89

Crisis Addict

QUOTE (Obsession @ Nov 10 2009, 09:22 AM) *
How about daevas then as the birds names?
Just a crappy suggestion lol, it basically means a supernatural entity.

Anyways, I don't mind waiting, just leaves a better impression.

Lol, I already have the names set up. :3

I agree, demos for RPGs seem to only be good for assuring people you're actually working on something... Well, I mean, it just seems like RPGs should be played from start, to end.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lyric Induced
post Nov 27 2009, 12:52 PM
Post #90

Crisis Addict

I haven't found the time to add character information or anything else to the main post, but here's a bit of information on another part of Endria, besides Sanam. Here's Endria Capitol. Endria Capitol was the original state of Endria. Sanam and the other states joined with Endria Capitol soon after. After hundreds of years to present day, most of the states are rivals, and Denrin Lidius has made Sanam the ruling state.

Here's a small concept sketch of Endria Capitol with some of the locations mapped. I took it from my notebook I keep details of the Sanam universe in. It's only got probably like 30% of the locations. (For instance, there's three towns around the Rive Mines that aren't mapped.) I'll get a finished one up as soon as it's done.

"P. (number)" means Population.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bandito
post Nov 27 2009, 08:29 PM
Post #91

Crisis Addict

Points For Stuff: 124
Member No.: 150

QUOTE (Lyric Induced @ Nov 10 2009, 03:21 PM) *
Lol, I already have the names set up. :3

I agree, demos for RPGs seem to only be good for assuring people you're actually working on something... Well, I mean, it just seems like RPGs should be played from start, to end.

Sometimes a demo can give you feedback if your game suck. I don't believe in doing a million demos but one or two are nice to see.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Obsession
post Nov 28 2009, 12:37 PM
Post #92

The Enigmatic

Love the mapwork, reminds me I gotta work on my own for my giant-ass map window >_>;

Kayla reminds me of a random character name i generated one day but never used. A nice name indeed :3

Sometimes a demo can give you feedback if your game suck

Suck is a crude, short and indecisive terminology. For people to listen to your view, every point must have a reason to back it up.

--------------------
QUOTE ( Obsession)

The other stuffV

Project Progresses:

+Quote Post
Allen Hunter
post Nov 28 2009, 12:51 PM
Post #93

Releasing a demo can help get more people interested in your games, just like a guy who talks to other girls will eventually get a girlfriend, instead of just "waiting for the right one."

If you're going to just keep it in your computer until it's done, regardless of how much time was spent, then I don't think that many people would really care about the game after all of that wait and frustration just so they could play it.

--------------------
QUOTE (#megagaming IRC)
Your point?
I know you did.

+Quote Post
Lyric Induced
post Nov 28 2009, 01:50 PM
Post #94

Crisis Addict

QUOTE (Obsession @ Nov 28 2009, 12:37 PM) *
Love the mapwork, reminds me I gotta work on my own for my giant-ass map window >_>;

Kayla reminds me of a random character name i generated one day but never used. A nice name indeed :3

Suck is a crude, short and indecisive terminology. For people to listen to your view, every point must have a reason to back it up.

I like that name. :3 It's cute and sounds like it'd work for a real peaceful town.

Okay, I suppose I shall start working on a demo then.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lyric Induced
post Jan 1 2010, 03:37 PM
Post #95

Crisis Addict

Well, I added four characters to the Minor Characters list and edited Kyle's bio, but there's still more to be added. (And I'll be adding pictures of the minor characters, as well as getting better pictures for the main characters.)

EDIT: Hey, if anyone wants to, they could go ahead and help me by making a support banner. Not that anyone would use it, lol, but it'd be neat to have one. Well, I know I have little to no content you could work with up, but if you wanna help, let me know and I could provide you with something specific from the game or something.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Obsession
post Jan 2 2010, 12:45 PM
Post #96

The Enigmatic

I'd love to make one, but I don't want to make a generated one (I.E Userbars.com) if you could send me a backdrop and some character sprites I can make it quite quick for you tongue.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ( Obsession)

The other stuffV

Project Progresses:

+Quote Post
Midnight Assassi...
post Jan 2 2010, 04:54 PM
Post #97

I'll do one for you. I can do a typical one, or one with fancy fonts and the whole shebang. Just drop me a PM or MSN message.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lyric Induced
post Jan 2 2010, 06:17 PM
Post #98

Crisis Addict

Obsession already made one. :3

CODE
[img]http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/Lyric_Induced/Sanam_Support_Alpha_copy.png[/img]

--------------------

+Quote Post
RPG Hacker
post Jan 3 2010, 04:33 AM
Post #99

Wannabe Super Hero

Points For Stuff: 401
Member No.: 4,642

Updated:

CODE
[url=http://rpgcrisis.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=794][img]http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/Lyric_Induced/Sanam_Support_Alpha_copy.png[/img][/url]

That way you get redirected to this thread when you click it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lyric Induced
post Jan 3 2010, 02:00 PM
Post #100

Crisis Addict

Thanks, sir hacker. happy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
« Next Oldest · Project Center · Next Newest »

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Display Mode: Switch to: Standard · Linear+ · Switch to: Outline

Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic · Subscribe to this forum

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th June 2010 - 09:13 PM
Privacy Policy