> [RM2k3] Sanam
Lyric Induced
post Mar 12 2009, 09:08 PM
Post #1

Crisis Addict

Group: Member
Points For Stuff: 1109
Member No.: 1,021

Sanam is the first of the Sanarian Trilogy.

Sanam, in-game, is a province in a large continent named Endria.

I have been developing many versions of this game for almost five years. I have scrapped each one, out of anger (because I couldn't get it as good as I wanted it to be). But the version I started working on a couple months ago has made me happy, and can assure you that I will be completing this version.

Story:

Sanam is the richest state in Endria, thanks to Denrin Lidius. For ten years, he has assumed the role of King and lead the state through depression and war, victorious. Though mostly good had come from the years of his rule, a fatal issue arose for the people living on Ilen, a small island on the tip of Sanam. The island was barely considered part of Sanam before, and eventually lost respect from Denrin. It was deemed to anarchy and forgotten. The island's inhabitants fought for its respect, and recovering from its main village, Calvianus', seperation into two villages - Calvus and Salvus. Calvus is Zack's hometown. He's been working with Richard, the town's Financial Advisor, to earn Ilen's place in Sanam back. Recently, a display of sloppy finance reports and the eventual halt of them coming at all worries Richard. He sends Zack to the town's rival village, to attempt restoring peace...

Project Goals and Origins

Origin:
I started this "story" in early 2004. I finished the final version a couple months ago, so you can see how hard I worked on it, regardless of it sucking.
I started developing the project in 2005, with RPG Maker 2003. Since 2005, I'd been working on different versions of the project. This year I decided on the one I'm building now.

Magic Development
In Sanam, people's magical abilities are decided as they grow to their teenage years. The type of environment they are surrounded by plays a huge role in this development, as well as their personality.

White mages are usually surrounded by loving people through their childhood, and have had at least one significant other in their lifetime.

Black Mages are usually surrounded by death and violence through their childhood.

Skill Users generally have suffered a horrible event in their childhood, disconnecting them emotionally from the world for several years.

Orange Mages are usually forced to give up a lot in their life just to survive.

Characters

Zack

Male
Class: Fighter

Description: Zack grew up on the island Ilen, living particularly in the town of Calvus. He's kind and usually outgoing, though his personality has become darker over the years. He's been through many hard times, like the Un-Governed War, and the seperation of Calvianus Village. His Father and Mother both passed away when he was seven, and eight, respectively. Zack fell into deep depression from their passing away, but his life turned around because of his relationship with Sarah. He was given a full Sanarian education, and majored in Sword Combat. His teacher, Samuel Trias, taught him all he knows in the area of combat. Zack continues to live in Ilen, intending to stay there for at-least three more years before leaving for the mainland.

He doesn't share much about his Father when anyone asks, or his Mother. He also tends to avoid any talk about Denrin Lidius.

NOTE: I know what you're thinking. "U used defalt RTP Zack lol." Well, my original concept for Zack was pretty similar to RTP Zack. Blue hair, same kind of coat... So, I left it. All the main characters were pretty similar to the RTP sets I chose to use. For the other characters it was more in their faces and hair, though.

Sarah Trias

Female
Class: White Mage

Description: Sarah is a very nice, open girl. She grew up in Ilen with Zack, in the town of Calvus. When she got older, she left Calvus, to go to Salvus, pursuing a job. Her Mother and Father left her on Amanda Trias of Calvus' doorstep when she was very young, so her real parents are unknown. Amanda raised Sarah and taught her in Vol's teachings. Though she was heavily influenced by Vol's teachings, her heavy admiration of Zack drove her to take the same belief as him. She has, like Zack, never left Ilen, and learned everything she knows there. She was given a basic eduction, which she regrets, and intends to finish her education someday.

Sam

Female
Class: Fighter

Description: Sam is the cute, shy (to strangers, anyway) girl everybody seems to know. She's a bit naive at times, and is, unwillingly, often the center of attention. She was born in Triun of Sanam, but soon-after was taken to Ilen. She left Ilen at ten years of age to go back to triun and receive a full Sanarian education. She was trained with several different weapons, but her admiration for Zack made her stick to swords. Also because of this admiration, she returned to Calvus at fifteen.

Jade

Female
Class: Black Mage, Archer

Description: Jade is a kind, but somewhat shy, girl who has apparently lived in Nilestone Village for most of her life. She recently left Nilestone to create a rebellion group in Triun, to battle against the Deseco Organization. She refuses to speak of either of her parents, or any other relatives she has. She also keeps most of her history hidden, and avoids making close friends. She was trained by a warrior in Nilestone village in Ranged weaponry. She also developed Black Magical abilities, regardless of formerly being told that she has no Magical Potential.

Kyle
Picture Coming Soon
Male
Class: Thief

Description: Kyle is a former street-urchin from Triun. He and his sister moved from place to place, as he tried to find a city that offered a decent job, but couldn't keep a job anywhere because of his reputation as a thief. With nowhere to go, he had to dive into his unfair reputation and begin stealing just to keep his sister healthy. This led to him becoming quite the thief, and even years later, when him and his sister have legitimate jobs, his thieving skills come in handy.

Minor Characters

Richard Hunter

Bio: Richard was born in Triun, when the city was still Rank 2; only considered a small village. He grew up as a banker's son and picked up the career himself. He worked his way up to a rather powerful Judge, but the Ryan controversy forced him to step down from the stand as a lowly Financial Adviser. Since him and Zack were friends at the time, Zack invited Richard to work for Ilen, and Richard has been helping them out ever since.

Samuel Trius

Bio: Samuel Trius is an Ilen long-timer. He was there when Calvus and Salvus were still one joined city. He now resides in Calvus, particularly because of Sarah and Zack's former relationship. When Sarah had left for Salvus and Zack had been drafted for the war a few years prior, his boredom led him to start working again, taking up the same job Zack has always had - hunting animals for food and selling it to cities of higher ranks, such as Triun. He married Amanda Elessu at age 22 and they've been married since. They also adopted Sarah when they found her on their doorstep when she was only a year old and have since raised her.

Amanda Trius

Bio: Amanda Trius grew up with Samuel on Ilen, and married him at age 21. Amanda has a Lumber shop opened in Calvus for many years, but eventually the need for lumber was aided by the city of Wraith instead. She has always been suspicious of Zack, which her daughter blames on her over-protective nature. Amanda has made a great effort in finding more information for Sarah rather than her name and birth date found on the parcel included in her basket sixteen years ago, but to no avail.

Eve of Nilestone

Bio: Eve grew up in Nilestone Village and befriended the former leader of the town, Rain. She aimed at inheriting the town after Rain died, but couldn't when Deseco stepped in and took control. Years later to present day, Deseco has left, but still has watches that visit the Village on occasion, which disrupts the village's former lifestyle. Eve works as a saleswoman of many different unique drinks made in Nilestone. She befriended Zack on Ilen when she went to sell Ryan Smith a trade route contract.

Screenshots
These are just a few...

Gameplay Information

Sanam plays like a traditional RPG. It uses the default ATB system.

Here are some details about the battle system.

Magic Styles
Each person in the world has one of five different magic styles flowing within them - Black, White, Orange, Varied, or Skill.

Magic items called Scales are small sources of magic in the game. One can use them to higher their intelligence, learn specific spells, or even to create custom spells.

White Magic
White magic is the good-nature magic in the game. It mostly consists of healing spells.

Black Magic

Black magic is the evil-nature magic in the game. It mostly consists of elemental, damaging spells.

Black magic users can eventually learn Forbidden magic, which consists of spells like Death, or Damnation.

Orange Magic
Orange magic consists of both Healing and Elemental/Damaging spells. Orange Magic uses no MP.

Orange magic is the sacrifice of items, weapons, or personal health, in exchange for Healing spells, Elemental Damaging Spells, or Unique Devastating spells.

Example:

The player can sacrifice a Potion and four Poison Cures to create a spell that cures all allies of Status Ailments.

Another example is sacrificing a Fire Scale for a low leveled fire spell.

Skill Magic
Skill magic is different from the other styles of magic.

When people are born, and their magic ability is being developed, sometimes the person will not develop a full magic capability. They will only be able to use a small amount of Magic, but not for elemental damage spells, or healing spells.

Skills mainly consist of Status Ailment inducing attacks, as well as skills that allow you to mix your small amount of magical ability with your strength.

Status Ailments
Poison
Poison causes the victim to lose a small percentage of HP every turn. This damage may not seem worth inflicting at first, but the damage really adds up, especially for stronger enemies.

Silence
The victim is unable to cast spells. This can be very useful on enemies that know powerful magic.

Confusion
The victim attacks their allies, and their self, randomly.

Stunned
The victim is stunned and cannot move for a moment.

Paralyzed
The user is paralyzed and cannot move.

Blind
This greatly decreases the victim's chance of hitting its target.

Berserk
The victim is enraged, with a boost to their strength, and attacks enemies at random.

Sleep
The victim falls into a deep sleep, where only physical damage or waiting it out can wake them.

Fallen
An ally has fallen in battle. They are unable to do anything further, and must be healed with an "Angel's Touch" potion.

Damned
The victim has fallen, and can only be revived by High Priests, or rare Holy Potions.

The Feather System
In the world, there are some species of birds that are blessed. They bear magical properties. For as long as history has been recorded, people have used these bird's feathers to learn Magic of their type. This has been rejected by some, but most fully accept it and call it a gift from the gods.

A human can only wear one feather at a time, as humans are weak in magic and could die from using more at one time. To absorb a Feather's magic, you must wear the Feather on you, in a headband, on your ear, or anywhere else close enough for you to gather its power. Feathers can also be worn on weapons.

When a character wears a Feather, and they gain EXP from battles, the EXP also goes to the feather. The feather levels up just like the characters, and as a Character levels that feather up, they gain Spells of the feather's type.

Note: Slades play a different role in the story now. I will update them soon, like later today.

Original Soundtrack
Actually, that is a bit misleading. MOST of the soundtrack in Sanam is original, but some songs are ripped from other games.

These are the current songs ready for Sanam. I created them; so if you like them and want to use them, go ahead, but please credit me. ^.^;

Driven by the Sword (Battle Theme)
What Kind of Demonic Power
Get Behind Me (Special Battle Theme)
Vesa Len (Vesa Len's Song)
Angered Lord (Special Battle Theme)
Deseco Theme

So far Driven by the Sword is the only one with a video, but I'll set up more.

Updates

Update - August 3rd, 2009
I have removed the ability to create weapons, items, and magic. The reason is because for Magic, adding the effect of one spell to another was immensely useless. For items, the way they are set up, it'd be much easier to just buy them. As for weapons, same as items.

However, you can still upgrade Zack's sword. You find materials that Blacksmiths tell you to find, and add to its power. Other customization of items is still being considered, as I stupidly looked into this late in development.

Update - August 28th, 2009
Wanted to post and announce I've finished the first segment of the story! There will be 4-5 segments of the same size approximately. I've smoothed out all the plotholes I've found, so development is going fast again.

If I had to guess, I'd say Sanam is about 30% finished, and an ETA on it's completion would be... Within the first two months of 2010. That's just a guess though; it may come out much later, or even sooner.

Update: October 29th, 2009

Ok, my main PC is back, and thank the Lord, I can open the start menu without a three second wait.

I'm back to work on my projects again. I'm still working full speed on Sanam, but I'm also going to be working on Attack of the Spammers too. During my down time in development, I got a lot done story-wise for both games. I have a lot of stuff planned out, and intend to get on it immediately. School is also gonna be real light this month, so it should be easy.

One thing to report for Sanam that's absolutely confirmed is the Custom Menu for Feathers. Before you just equipped a Feather through the main menu and it did its job, but I think that's pretty lazy. I've never tried a real custom menu before, but I intend for it to me nice and clean, and shall work hard on it.

I'm also working out other things with Feathers and how they develop your skills, but none of that is confirmed yet.

The Opening Post for this topic is being written up, but it will still take a little time to update it since I'm working it through for different forums. The update will be more organized, and have much more information on characters, and hopefully a decent amount of more information for the story.

Update: November 9th, 2009

Update: November 9th, 2009
The main post has received a small edit, but more is going to be added.

-More information and examples of the Feather System
-An Item list
-A new Characters section, displaying secondary characters
-Detailed information about some of the more common locations in Sanam
-Anything else I've forgotten.

Update: January 4th, 2010

I'm still trying to figure out a demo. I can't really promise it'll happen, because I intended to never release one, and the game isn't set up for one at all. I really wish I would have waited longer before making a topic for the game. I'll try my best to make one work.

I also wanted to explain one of the features of the game. Mid-way through, you'll be able to work together with the History Archive Representative and the History Enthusiasts to fill in several story segments that Zack has experienced, but never really explains during the main quest. (I.E., Mayor Ryan, his childhood along with Sarah's, details about his role in the war, etc.) This is the main way to discover the truths and just general background information of Sanam. (you can also find NPCs that can better explain some of the more vague history of the game)

Update: February 7th, 2010

Here are those new screenshots.

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
-Lyric Induced   [RM2k3] Sanam   Mar 12 2009, 09:08 PM
--Rosseau   Using the RTP is not a sin by any means! I lik...   Mar 13 2009, 03:25 PM
--Kurysu   The character's all seem original enough. I re...   Mar 13 2009, 03:57 PM
--Lyric Induced   QUOTE (Rosseau @ Mar 13 2009, 03:25 PM) U...   Mar 13 2009, 04:37 PM
--Kurysu   Of course. I'm not asking you spill your plotl...   Mar 13 2009, 04:41 PM
--Lyric Induced   Later today. Late tonight at latest. I'm pinn...   Mar 13 2009, 05:37 PM
--Kurysu   Sounds awesome! If you ever need help with any...   Mar 13 2009, 05:38 PM
--Lyric Induced   xD Sweet, I will. Yeah, I've found less and ...   Mar 13 2009, 05:42 PM
--Kurysu   haha! I'm gonna hold you to that! If y...   Mar 13 2009, 05:45 PM
--Lyric Induced   Haha, okay. I feel I'm safe, because I have a...   Mar 13 2009, 05:53 PM
--Kurysu   lmao! Cheater. hahaha.   Mar 13 2009, 07:36 PM
|--Lyric Induced   Heh. x3 I added some screenshots, a bit of inform...   Mar 13 2009, 10:31 PM
--Elemental Crisis   It's always nice to see people still using RM2...   Mar 14 2009, 02:24 AM
--Lyric Induced   QUOTE (Elemental Crisis @ Mar 14 2009, 02...   Mar 14 2009, 09:12 AM
--Bandito   I respect that you decided to use the rtp because ...   Mar 15 2009, 07:43 AM
--Lyric Induced   QUOTE (Bandito @ Mar 15 2009, 07:43 AM) I...   Mar 15 2009, 12:14 PM
--Rory   Wow, your game looks pretty neat. I like your maps...   Mar 15 2009, 09:40 PM
--Lyric Induced   QUOTE (Rory @ Mar 15 2009, 09:40 PM) Wow,...   Mar 15 2009, 09:49 PM
--Kurysu   You can make a cliche story line work, anyhow, I b...   Mar 16 2009, 11:20 AM
--Lyric Induced   QUOTE (Kurysu @ Mar 16 2009, 11:20 AM) Yo...   Mar 16 2009, 02:32 PM
--Lyric Induced   Small update, added a couple screenshots. I've...   May 28 2009, 02:38 PM
--Lyric Induced   It's been a while since I posted here, but I...   Jul 18 2009, 01:18 AM
--Obsession   You need to remove the watch?= thingy from the vid...   Jul 21 2009, 06:00 AM
--Lyric Induced   Thanks. I'll try my best to improve them! ...   Jul 21 2009, 01:25 PM
--Lyric Induced   Update - August 3rd 2009 I have removed the abili...   Aug 3 2009, 02:03 AM
--Rayzshea   Hey Lyric, I was wondering what you are using to c...   Aug 10 2009, 12:12 PM
|--Lyric Induced   QUOTE (Rayzshea @ Aug 10 2009, 12:12 PM) ...   Aug 10 2009, 02:08 PM
--Rayzshea   I think that Driven could easily become a main bat...   Aug 10 2009, 08:18 PM
--Lyric Induced   I actually composed Driven with the feeling of Pan...   Aug 10 2009, 08:37 PM
--Rayzshea   That does make sense. If there are any sort of lo...   Aug 11 2009, 05:03 AM
|--Lyric Induced   QUOTE (Rayzshea @ Aug 11 2009, 06:03 AM) ...   Aug 17 2009, 05:47 PM
--Rayzshea   Thanks Lyric! I totally support a change in m...   Aug 17 2009, 05:58 PM
--Gundam Exia   Nice! I Want To Try This Game. It Looks Cool.   Aug 19 2009, 01:38 AM
--Sentinel Dynames   Sanam? What is this game? I want to try it!   Aug 19 2009, 02:33 AM
|--Midnight Assassin   QUOTE (Sentinel Dynames @ Aug 19 2009, 08...   Aug 22 2009, 06:50 AM
--Lyric Induced   Sanam is a traditional RPG... And... Well, I'm...   Aug 22 2009, 12:51 AM
--Gundam Exia   Nice Game. I'll Try It   Aug 22 2009, 02:46 PM
--Midnight Assassin   It's not out yet...   Aug 22 2009, 04:49 PM
--Gundam Exia   oh... thats why i cant find the demo   Aug 22 2009, 04:57 PM
--Lyric Induced   Yeah, I don't think I'll be releasing demo...   Aug 22 2009, 05:04 PM
--Midnight Assassin   @Lyric Induced, Yeah, I've never been a big de...   Aug 22 2009, 05:28 PM
--Lyric Induced   Well, you can generally do that in 2003 too, but i...   Aug 22 2009, 05:32 PM
--Midnight Assassin   Yeah, I guess different demos have different addon...   Aug 22 2009, 10:22 PM
--Lyric Induced   That's precisely my problem. Zack's sword ...   Aug 22 2009, 10:23 PM
--keitsukun   The BMG is great! Even tough it sounds some-wh...   Aug 23 2009, 10:04 AM
--Lyric Induced   I'd actually be interested, but not for this p...   Aug 23 2009, 03:16 PM
--jetstorm4   Wow, actually looks like a solid project, and the ...   Aug 23 2009, 06:55 PM
--Lyric Induced   Heh, thanks. =D Yeah, the RTP characters thing is...   Aug 23 2009, 06:59 PM
--RATED-RKOFRANKLIN   How much progress have you finished? I hope your p...   Aug 23 2009, 07:03 PM
--Lyric Induced   Thanks RKO. Well... Last time I checked I had thr...   Aug 23 2009, 07:05 PM
--Lyric Induced   Wanted to post and announce I've finished the ...   Aug 28 2009, 06:37 PM
|--Obsession   QUOTE (Lyric Induced @ Aug 29 2009, 03:37...   Aug 29 2009, 01:51 AM
--Midnight Assassin   That's good to hear. I can't wait to see t...   Aug 28 2009, 06:45 PM
--Lyric Induced   Thanks! :D It's those kinds of posts that ...   Aug 29 2009, 02:51 AM
--Midnight Assassin   Well, this game is by far one of the best 2K3 RPGs...   Aug 29 2009, 03:09 AM
--Lyric Induced   :D Sweet! I can has approvalness!   Aug 29 2009, 03:12 AM
--Rayzshea   I'm glad that tings are moving along for you i...   Aug 31 2009, 09:47 AM
--Obsession   QUOTE (Rayzshea @ Aug 31 2009, 06:47 PM) ...   Aug 31 2009, 12:27 PM
--Midnight Assassin   This is another reason you got the seal - likeabil...   Aug 31 2009, 12:44 PM
--Lyric Induced   Heh, thanks a lot guys. ^~^   Aug 31 2009, 04:25 PM
--Gundam Exia   I'm Exited To Try This Game, Its Been A While ...   Aug 31 2009, 05:30 PM
--Sentinel Dynames   That is a cool game!   Aug 31 2009, 09:19 PM
|--Gundam Exia   QUOTE (Sentinel Dynames @ Aug 31 2009, 09...   Aug 31 2009, 09:40 PM
--Sentinel Dynames   That's what i mean Gundam Exia. Geez..   Sep 1 2009, 12:18 AM
--Midnight Assassin   @Gundam Exia, of course he hasn't tried the ga...   Sep 1 2009, 02:52 AM
--Lyric Induced   Name Change Major Update October 2nd, 09 I...   Oct 2 2009, 06:16 PM
--Allen Hunter   To be honest, I think it's pretty stupid to ch...   Oct 2 2009, 06:27 PM
--Lyric Induced   ...Eh, I guess I'll keep it, but only because ...   Oct 2 2009, 06:28 PM
--Lyric Induced   I thought it was about time to post some sort of v...   Oct 3 2009, 04:19 AM
--Obsession   Don't change the game name. About the video, ...   Oct 3 2009, 10:54 AM
--Lyric Induced   I've had that issue for some time, but rest as...   Oct 3 2009, 11:38 AM
--Gundam Exia   Nice Video, The BG Is Like SOrrow Hppines, Another...   Oct 3 2009, 05:48 PM
--Lyric Induced   I'll be remaking this topic soon (as in editin...   Oct 10 2009, 02:32 AM
--Ultyma   HOW much later than Monday?   Oct 13 2009, 12:29 PM
--Lyric Induced   I was forming the new thing and this computer cras...   Oct 13 2009, 07:28 PM
--Lyric Induced   Update: October 29, 2009 Ok, my main PC is back, ...   Oct 28 2009, 06:27 PM
--Ultyma   Looking forward to the OP change, Lyric. Expecting...   Oct 28 2009, 07:48 PM
--Lyric Induced   QUOTE && *gasp* Attack of the Spammers...   Oct 28 2009, 08:44 PM
--Ultyma   That's good news. This community needs a kick ...   Oct 28 2009, 09:09 PM
--Lyric Induced   This is a simple rock-to-switch puzzle in the Cave...   Nov 9 2009, 02:36 AM
--Lyric Induced   The main post has received a small edit, but more ...   Nov 9 2009, 03:17 AM
--Obsession   I'm exteremely impressed how this project is b...   Nov 9 2009, 02:52 PM
--Lyric Induced   QUOTE I like how the specifcations and magic poten...   Nov 9 2009, 04:09 PM
--Dyhalto   Enough of this frivolous promotion! When comet...   Nov 9 2009, 08:19 PM
|--Lyric Induced   QUOTE (Dyhalto @ Nov 9 2009, 08:19 PM) En...   Nov 9 2009, 11:47 PM
--SNES Player   QUOTE I certainly don't think it'd work fr...   Nov 10 2009, 12:46 AM
--Lyric Induced   The whole progression works better if you play fro...   Nov 10 2009, 01:37 AM
--Obsession   How about daevas then as the birds names? Just a ...   Nov 10 2009, 09:22 AM
|--Lyric Induced   QUOTE (Obsession @ Nov 10 2009, 09:22 AM)...   Nov 10 2009, 11:21 AM
|--Bandito   QUOTE (Lyric Induced @ Nov 10 2009, 03:21...   Nov 27 2009, 08:29 PM
--Lyric Induced   I haven't found the time to add character info...   Nov 27 2009, 12:52 PM
--Obsession   Love the mapwork, reminds me I gotta work on my ow...   Nov 28 2009, 12:37 PM
|--Lyric Induced   QUOTE (Obsession @ Nov 28 2009, 12:37 PM)...   Nov 28 2009, 01:50 PM
--SNES Player   Releasing a demo can help get more people interest...   Nov 28 2009, 12:51 PM
--Lyric Induced   Well, I added four characters to the Minor Charact...   Jan 1 2010, 03:37 PM
--Obsession   I'd love to make one, but I don't want to ...   Jan 2 2010, 12:45 PM
--Midnight Assassin   I'll do one for you. I can do a typical one, o...   Jan 2 2010, 04:54 PM
--Lyric Induced   Obsession already made one. :3 CODE[img]h...   Jan 2 2010, 06:17 PM
|--RPG Hacker   Updated: CODE[url=http://rpgcrisis.net/fo...   Jan 3 2010, 04:33 AM
--Lyric Induced   Thanks, sir hacker.   Jan 3 2010, 02:00 PM
2 Pages V   1 2 >

« Next Oldest · Project Center · Next Newest »

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Display Mode: Switch to: Standard · Switch to: Linear+ · Outline

Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic · Subscribe to this forum

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th June 2010 - 09:12 PM
Privacy Policy