• You cannot reply to this topic

Some Updates/Changes

#1   Elemental Crisis 

• Administrator
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 July 2010 - 08:11 AM

Hello Everyone,

I've been doing a little work here and there on the forums and I'd thought I'd share whats changed and whats new.

Google Ads
I'm sure most of you have seen them as their right below the user bar. I've brought them temporarily back for the sole purpose of discontinuing their use, the goal with them was never to make money, it was just to cover any RPG Crisis related services. Once they reach an amount where I Google will pay me I'm taking them off and discontinuing the use. If they reach a pay amount the money earned by them will be enough to cover hosting for RPG Crisis for the next year provided we stay with the same host and pay the same amount. Of course if anything happens in the future where I'm having problems paying for RPG Crisis related services I can always bring them back.

New Additions To The Download System
I've enabled the ability for everyone to include links for a download. There are a couple different types of links you can submit which I've outlined below.

Contributed Files
This link type is mainly aimed at developers who want to make sure users are downloading their latest files. For example, our friend Cherry has been kind enough to start adding his files to our download database. You'll notice that when you click to download one of his files it will take you to the corresponding page on his site allowing you to download the latest version. This feature is not to be used for directing users to your site or your download if its hosted on a free file service like Rapidshare for example. We allows members to upload their files for free to prevent users from having to download a file from a free file service. No one likes waiting, slow download speeds or file deletion due to inactivity. We will be checking and will either upload the file ourselves or deny your submission.

Required Software
This link types allows you to link to a required file for your download to work properly. For example if you games needs the RTP from RPG Maker XP to run you can link to the RTP download for it.

Game Site
This link type is mainly for game submissions. If the game you've upload has its own site you can link to it. Please do not link to forum threads or other similar locations as that is not a site and the link will be removed.

I'll be making some changes later on to the layout as I don't like how its presented. A disclaimer will also be added to external links.

Possible Switch From IP.Gallery to Gallery2/Gallery3
Unfortunately it seems I might be switching the software we use for the Resource Database. I've had a couple members explain their frustrations with how uploading is a tedious process. Also, the fact that IP.Gallery doesn't support .bmp thumbnail creation or proper audio playback is also a problem for me. Some of the makers we support only use .bmp files and while its possible for .bmp files to be uploaded you wont know what it looks like until you click on the name or the thumbnail placeholder to view it. I'm going to give it a little more time as IPS has said that a new version of IP.Gallery is on the way and I'd like to see what it offers before making a switch. Of course, I'm not going to wait forever so I'm hoping they announce this new version by next week so I can see if we should stick with IP.Gallery or switch. Otherwise come Friday of next week I'm switching regardless.

#2   blue_emerald777 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • LocationUS

Posted 09 July 2010 - 08:19 AM

Most of the Google Ads I've seen are to fake Teeth Whitening, Weight Loss, False Virus Scans, and other potentially harmful links. I will be glad when they're gone. Also, I'm sick of seeing those stupid flash games advertised as "The Greatest Game Ever!"

#3   Mako Star 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Staff
  • LocationChattanooga, Tennessee

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:24 AM

Yes. It can be tedious uploading images one at a time.

Most of the ads I see are game related. There's a few others but nothing too odd. haha

Looking forward to hearing more on the Gallery!

#4   clone1018 

• Advanced Member
    • Group: Members
    • LocationTexas

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:57 PM

blue_emerald777, on 09 July 2010 - 10:19 AM, said:

Most of the Google Ads I've seen are to fake Teeth Whitening, Weight Loss, False Virus Scans, and other potentially harmful links. I will be glad when they're gone. Also, I'm sick of seeing those stupid flash games advertised as "The Greatest Game Ever!"

ADBLOCK

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
    • You cannot start a new topic
    • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
    0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Alexa