• You cannot reply to this topic

Welcome

#1   Elemental Crisis 

• Administrator
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:21 PM

Welcome Back Everyone!

Please note, everyone will have to create new accounts as this is an entirely new forum.

Welcome to the new RPG Crisis, I'm not going to officially call this RPG Crisis Version 2.0 as the main component of 2.0, the site isint done yet. However, every other 2.0 change has been made making this something like RPG Crisis Version 1.5 if you wanted to give it a version number. Were also on a new host! Were currently being hosted by FiveBeanand they've been nothing but helpful with any problems I've run into. I also haven't experienced any problems we were having on our previous host, Host Gator. While a lot of things will feel familiar there's much more that's changed with the biggest change being our forum software. Originally I had upgraded the forums to IPB 3.0 but there was a bug with IP.Downloads which forced us to upgrade to IPB 3.1 ahead of schedule, oh well. As can tell IPB 3.1 is a lot different then the previous version we were using, version 2.3. Its going to take some time getting used to and everyone's going to go through a learning period, its gonna be great! I'd also assume most of you read some of this on the new portal page, for the time being its going to act as our "site" as I didn't want to use the same site we were using before. I'm still tweaking it so if you notice any problems or got a suggestion post it in the feedback section. I'm going to outline any significant changes below but wont be covering every single change, there's just too many. Though feel free to share any interesting changes you find.

RPG Crisis Facebook and Twitter Accounts
I've created both a Twitter account and an RPG Crisis page allowing users to better connect with RPG Crisis. The accounts are currently handled by me but they'll probably be handled by the staff later on. You can view our Twitter and Facebook page by clicking the links in my sig. We need 25 fans to get a nice looking url for our facebook page so make sure to click the like button.

New Staff
I've added some new staff members to help with admin duties, moderation and content uploading.

Ndrd has been promoted to Admin and will help me with day-to-day activities on RPG Crisis.
Midnight Assassin will be handing the Resource Database and uploading new resources daily.
Lyricalias has been promoted to Global Mod and is apart of our content staff, he will be uploading various content weekly.

Old Forums Archived
The old forums are still reachable for now and have been set to read-only meaning you will only be able to view them, everything has been re-uploaded except for the downloads. If you had an account on the old forums you can login and grab any data you need. Let me know if you experience any problems.

New Guest Permissions
I've greatly increased guest permissions, they can now view all our content and download files. This will remain like this forever unless we start getting guest abuse and/or start running into bandwith problems.

Flash Upload Problems
IPB3 introduces a new flash based upload but we've been having problems with it, if your using it to upload anything bigger then 5MB's it hangs forever, so only use if for small files please.

Forum Layout
This is the new forum layout I've come up with, please let me know what you think. The subsections in the Maker Support section solely depend on how many support topics are being made for a maker, as time goes on additional sections will be made if needed. If Shooter Maker 95 suddenly started overtaking the Additional Makers section a new section would be created for Shooter Maker 95.

CleanCut Skin!
While you might like the default IPB3 skin I happen to prefer the CleanCut skin because it's awesome. Scroll down to the bottom of the board and where it says IP.Board click it and select CleanCut, awesome isn't? The only known problem is when viewing a tutorial, the link to view the uploaders other submissions looks weird.

Readable URL's
No more boring looking /index.php?showtopic=1! Its also more SEO friendly and looks better I think.

Share This Topic
Users can now share any given topic via 7 different sites, the links to do so are at the bottom of the page.

Topic Prefixes
When adding a download, tutorial or script the category prefix will be added to it. This will make searching and organization a lot better.

Status Updates
Something new to IPB, users can post short status updates for others to see and comment on.

Make Tutorial/Script
A new feature of out Tutorials/Script system is the ability to turn any post into a tutorial or script, click the button at the bottom of the post in the right hand corner. If this gets abused I'll turn it off.

New Download System
Our new download system is similar to the old one we were using but allows for much more. I've only added one custom field so far, version. If you think a certain one should be added let me know.

Using Ip.Gallery over Coppermine
We've switched to IP.Gallery as its much easier to maintain and use then Coppermine and its integrated allowing users to browse our resources without jumping through hoops.

Tutorials/Script System
Were using the same one we were previously using, there's some new features so check it out.

I also apologize for taking so long to get this place re-opened, the power outage I had and the unexpected bug with our download system was crappy but are no longer a problem. I also want to thank Lyricalias for helping me out!

I've also begun uploading content such as downloads and a couple tutorials, I'll keep adding more. If your wondering about the post dates I used most of the submissions for testing.

I think that about covers it, I'm sure I'm missing something but its 5:30AM here and I'm tired. If you find any problems makes sure to report them in the feedback section. I also need someone to do me a favor, tell me if the auto-pm you get looks correct, in fact if you could screenshot it and either PM or post it that would be great.

#2   SwordCake 

• Group: Members

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:22 AM

That's a fine new forum we have here. Definitely better that the old one. Thumbs UP!
    PS: How do I change the design to the CleanCut one?

#3   Elemental Crisis 

• Administrator
    • LocationUSA

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:49 AM

Scroll to the bottom of the page, on the right hand side click where it says IP.Board and select CleanCut. However, I'm just going to make it the default skin.

#4   NIGGA STOLE MY BROADBAND 

• Advanced Member

Posted 28 June 2010 - 01:05 PM

It's about time.

#5   Mako Star 

• Advanced Member
      • Group: Staff
      • LocationChattanooga, Tennessee

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:32 PM

Liking the new forum already! The sharing functionality is pretty neat, as well!
      Already following Crisis on Twitter and FB!
      ;)

#6   Koizumi 

• LocationJapan

Posted 29 June 2010 - 05:37 AM

We look like we've been sponsered by Invision to intentionally sport their default skin. We should probally fix that up with some new graphics of our own. (Or at least a new header...)

#7   Mako Star 

• Advanced Member

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:41 AM

Koizumi, on 29 June 2010 - 08:37 AM, said:

We look like we've been sponsered by Invision to intentionally sport their default skin. We should probally fix that up with some new graphics of our own. (Or at least a new header...)

I second this motion.

#8   MagitekElite 

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:31 PM

I love the new forum :)

I would be glad to help with a banner, or I could get my expert sister to help. She's really, really good with graphics ^.^

#9   Elemental Crisis 

• Administrator
          • LocationUSA

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:25 PM

Random (Koizumi) was kind enough to make us a logo for this skin. What do you guys think?

As for a custom skin, I've already asked Rory and he said he would make one for us. :)

#10   RATED-RKOFRANKLIN 

• Advanced Member

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:55 AM

I actually like this version of the new site better.

Attached File(s)

•  new site.png (94.66K)
              Number of downloads: 9

#11   Mako Star 

• Advanced Member

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:27 AM

RATED-RKOFRANKLIN, on 30 June 2010 - 12:55 PM, said:

I actually like this version of the new site better.

XD Awesome!!!!

Well I like the banner more than before...but we need Flashier!!!!!!
            ;)

#12   Midnight Assassin 

• Advanced Member
            • LocationNSW, Australia

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:40 PM

I never really had a thing for IPB3; but I'm getting used to it. Much more functional.

#13   Elemental Crisis 

• Administrator
            • LocationUSA

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:59 AM

Agreed, my index page I created was a masterpiece, I was sad when I took it down. :(

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
            • You cannot start a new topic
            • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
            0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users